Holidays in Crete can be either relaxing or adventure. For your pleasant & exciting vacation, we advise you from the simple to the most sophisticated tour with safety, reliability, and inventiveness.
Crete: An attractive holiday destination in Mediterranean Sea.
Crete is the largest and the most mythical island in Greece. It is the fifth largest and one of the most prominent holiday destinations on the Mediterranean Sea. Crete lies between three continents (Europe-Africa-Asia) and divides the Aegean from the South Mediterranean Sea. It is 257 km long and from 12 to 61 km wide. Because of its geographical location, it has been always of great importance. Three mountain chains are creating the dominating mountain backbone of the island which divides the North from the South Crete. The White mountains in the West, Idi Mountain (Psiloritis) in the Centre, and Dikti mountain in the East. Between these mountains are shaped small valleys and plains, plateaus, and deep gorges. Some smaller islands are around Crete. The most famous is Gavdos island which is the most southern part of Europe. Crete has some small rivers, only one natural lake, and some artificial.
The island is divided into four administrative areas: Chania and Rethymno in the west and Iraklion and Lassithi in the east, with the four capital towns, Chania, Rethymno, Iraklion, and Ag. Nikolaos is located on the north coast.
As the major towns are situated there, the North coast of Crete is more developed and populated than the South coast which is un-disturbed and more popular for independent travelers. The mountains drop sleepily into the South Cretan Sea creating many small clear beaches and a lacy coastline.
Crete is an attractive and fascinating holiday destination with indefinite variety which offers vivid tourist resorts, wonderful unspoiled beaches, varied landscapes, historical ancient ruins, rural villages with traditional lifestyles wonderful sea-side towns.
Crete will satisfy even the most demanding visitor with its natural beauty, healthy climate, crystal-clear sea water, and countless tourist facilities.
Enjoy the most important guided tours and top Excursions in Crete:
1. SAMARIA GORGE – “LONG WAY”: The gorge is situated in the White mountains within the National park of Samaria. It is one of the most spectacular natural beauties of Crete. If you are reasonably fit and like walking you will appreciate this Samaria – a long way. The walk should be avoided by children under 6 years old, pregnant women, or people with health problems. Strong walking shoes, sunglasses, and a hat are needed.
Your coach departs rather early and will bring you to the northern entrance of Xyloskalo in the Omalos plateau at an altitude of 1100 m. About 16 km later in Agia Roumeli, you will have a meal or a swim into the Libyan Sea. Then you are transferred by boat to Hora Sfakion where the bus is waiting to take you back.
Good walking shoes are recommended.
2. SAMARIA GORGE – “EASY WAY”: By bus along the North coast of Crete, then to the South, via some traditional villages you will arrive at Hora Sfakion at about 10.00. By boat, you are transferred to Agia Roumeli, the end of Samaria gorge at the Libyan Sea. You will walk for a couple of hours until the middle of the gorge and then back to Agia Roumeli. There is some time for swimming in the crystal-clear seawater of the Libyan Sea and for a refreshment/meal in the taverns on the beach. At 17.00 you take the boat to Hora Sfakion, and return to your hotel, by bus.
3. KNOSSOS, IRAKLION MUSEUM: This is a guided tour to the archaeological site of the palace of Knossos, the prosperous Minoan capital of the first of all advanced civilizations in Europe. In the afternoon, you will visit the Archaeological Museum of Iraklion, where the treasures of the Minoan civilization are assembled. Then, there is some time in the town of Iraklion for sightseeing and shopping.
4. FESTOS, GORTYS, MATALA, SPILI: Through the biggest plain of Crete, Messara, you will arrive at Gortys, the former Roman capital of Crete. Gortys is famous for its ancient legal tablets of stone, its Roman amphitheater, and the church of Agios Titos, the first seat of the archbishops of Crete. Then follows the visit to the impressive excavations of the Minoan palace of Festos, with a majestic view of the Messara plain. The tour continues to Matala village for sea bathing and lunch. If you have time, visit the famous sandstone caves. On the way back, there is a stop at Spili village for a look at the Venetian fountains.
5. ELAFONISI IS BEACH: Elafonisi is located on the southwest coast of Crete. Stop at the green village Elos, for coffee and at Chrysoskalitissa Monastery. The wonderful beach of Elafonisi is only a few minutes drive after the monastery. On the way back you will stop and visit the cave of Agia Sofia and then stop at Potamida village for traditional cheese pies and coffee.
6. MINI CRUISE TO GRAMVOUSA ISLAND – BALOS BEACH: This special cruise departs from the port of Kissamos. After an hour “on board” we reach Gramvousa island with its imposing Venetian castle and the majestic view of the Cretan coast and the ocean. The boat sails again to Balos beach (blue lagoon), a shallow lagoon with green crystal-clear warm water and white coral sand. The colors of the water and the sand are exceptional and the swimming there will be unforgettable. Lunch on board is possible.
7. ONE DAY MINI CRUISE TO SANTORINI:
One-day cruise to Santorini Island either from Heraklion or Rethymno harbor. Do not miss the opportunity to enjoy the unique beauty of this island.
Many reasons have made this island famous globally and most of us have seen a picture of this dream island. Scientists relate this island to the mythical Atlantis. Also, Julius Verne made Santorini famous through his novels “Twenty thousand leagues under the sea” and “The mysterious island”.
Santorini is an island, where the traces of the life of the volcano have influenced the structure and the process of people on it. Another reason that has made known the island is the view of the “Caldera” which is the most fascinating on the planet.
8. 4X4 LUXURY JEEP-SAFARI THE GREAT ADVENTURE:
Departing from Rethymnon you will drive southwards towards Amari valley. You will pass through magnificent gorges, and traditional villages discovering the rural life of Crete. Make some brief stops to take photos. Visit of Potamoi dam to admire the artificial lake of Amari.
Back to the Jeeps and through the mountains, you will come to the next stop, the village of Spili. Stop for coffee there and have a look at its famous 25 lion head springs with the cold water running all year round. Tourists’ small shops selling handcrafts and souvenirs are around. You will continue through Kerame village, and you can admire the lacy coastline, the South Cretan Sea, and the Paximadia and Gavdos islands. After some dusty road, you will come to Preveli Palm beach, one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. You can enjoy your swim under the Palm trees in the river water or in the ocean water. After the swim, you will get a delicious lunch around Preveli. If we have enough time, we’ll pay a visit to the famous Preveli monastery. After lunch, you will drive through Kotsifou gorge climb the mountains again and have a beautiful view of the wonderful, wild, impressive nature. Through some dusty roads, you will visit the unspoiled villages of central Rethymno and stop at Argiroupolis springs for the last coffee and share the day’s fun and experience. Back to the Rethymnon area.